Under the judicial system of the United States, the state level courts oversee legal proceedings in their respective areas. According to their function, such courts may be further subdivided into categories such as Divorce Courts, Trial Courts or Bankruptcy Courts. As the name suggests, a bankruptcy court handles all applications for bankruptcy within a particular state. Thus, the New York Bankruptcy Court is responsible for handling bankruptcy proceedings in the state of New York. It also keeps up-to-date and extensive documentation of the cases handled by it, all of which are to be found in the New York Bankruptcy Court Records.
New York Bankruptcy court record is easily available and they can be searched for data related to cases filed under Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 of the bankruptcy laws. A look at the records of 2008 would reveal that there were 40,519 cases filed under Chapter 7, 12 and 13 of the bankruptcy laws.
If an individual files for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, then the assets of the person concerned are taken over by the trustee and then liquidated to attain cash. The cash is then distributed amongst the creditors. Filing for chapter 7 bankruptcy can help to clear the debt. According to Chapter 13 of the bankruptcy laws, the debt can be cleared through repayments made over a period of time.
The New York Bankruptcy Court provides the New York Bankruptcy court forms for filing case on bankruptcy. The forms are different for different types of cases such Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12 and Chapter 13. The bankruptcy records also provide information on exemptions. Some of the exemptions are listed below:
- ? Real estate inclusive of co-operative, mobile home and condo is exempted up to
- US$ 10000 under section 5206(a)
- Benefits or allowance from contracts are exempted up to $5000 for six months under the clauses Insurance section 3212(d) and Debtor & Creditor section 283(1)
- Benefits on illness or disability is exempted under the clause Insurance section 3212(c) to a maximum limit of US$ 400 every month
Find New York Bankruptcy Records Online
New York Bankruptcy Courts are located at different places throughout the state. Divided into four districts, the court locations of New York are as follows:
- New York Northern District Court: Syracuse, Albany, Utica
- New York Southern District Court: Poughkeepsie, New York, White Plains
- New York Eastern District Court: Hauppauge, Brooklyn, Westbury
- New York Western District Court: Buffalo, Batavia, Mayville, Olean, Niagara Falls, Rochester, Watkins Glenn